Sending a regular email newsletter continues to be one of the most effective and least expensive ways for attorneys to market themselves to prospects, clients and referral sources. Every year, email marketing service provider MailerMailer provides a report on email marketing metrics across 34 different industries, including Legal.
They have just issued their 2015 report, based on data gathered from 1.1 billion opt-in email newsletters sent between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014. Here are the results — and what should be your new benchmarks — for your law firm email newsletter:
Open rate (what percentage of your recipients opened your email):14.6%
Click rate (what percentage of your recipients clicked on a link in your email): 1.7%
Click-to-open rate (of the recipients who opened your email, what percentage of them clicked on a link): 12%
Bounce rate (the percentage of emails that cannot be delivered): 2.2%
If your newsletters are not delivering at rates that meet or exceed the benchmarks above, you have a problem.
Here’s what you should consider to improve your click, open and bounce rates:
- Short subject lines — no more than 39 characters — generate the highest open and click rates.
- The highest open and click rates occur on Mondays. Open rates peak are at their highest from 8 a.m. until noon and peak between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.
- Bounce rates are inescapable, but can be improved if you send out emails on a regular basis.
- Targeted emails deliver 18 times more revenue than general blast emails.
- Personalizing the message content boost open and click rates significantly.
- More than half of emails are now opened on mobile devices. So make sure that your email or email system is auto-responsive.
If your law firm newsletter is performing at or above these benchmarks, you still have some work to do: by discovering the exact reasons for your success, so you can continue to reproduce the success rate time and time again. For more information about starting your email marketing program or optimizing your current email marketing program to receive better click thru rates or open rates, call us, we would happy to help.