A more advanced approach to positioning your Unique Selling Points (USPs) is to incorporate elements of discovery or entertainment.
Discovery is the introduction or “the twist” on a benefit the consumer had not considered. Entertainment, approaches the prospect in a less obvious or lessened selling-mode. It reduces the threat, relaxes the senses and opens the mind to an unobtrusive proposal.
Both of these tactics attempt to set your features and benefit’s unique selling points (USPs) on a different level within the mind. It helps to further separate and elevate your offerings from your competitors, as well as suggest and imply higher benefits and value to the consumer.
This is where great creative development can set you apart. Let me show you by creatively positioning the previously discussed USPs.
Feature/Benefit Unique Selling Points (USP)
- Save time and gas with our huge selection!
Creative Positioning Unique Selling Points (USP)
- With a selection this big, bring your GPS.
- You cannot not find what you’re looking for
- Yep, we’ve got that too!
With each of these, the features and the benefits have been set in ways that create images that position the feature (USP) without saying it like everyone else. Adding the positioning image of a GPS in your store screams “biggest selection” and thereby ties the ownership of this important feature/benefit to you more than your competitors.
- Convenient location gets you here quicker!
Creative Positioning USP
- Here Quicker. Fixed Quicker.
In this example, there is no need to mention freeway access. You have positioned the benefit that helps them “discover” that the job gets done sooner when they shop with you. Just saying “convenient freeway access” would not have accomplished that, would it?
- Beautify your home with our garden section!
Creative Demonstration USP
- We Give Your Home Flower-Power
- Patio-Fresh Vegetables Sold Here
- Summer Never Tasted So Good
- Made In The Shade
Now, instead of thinking garden section, customer are now thinking healthy eating, beauty, relaxing shade. Things they want, but may not have immediately associated with your offering.
- Open until 10 p.m. to fit in your busy schedule!
- Your Late-Leak Solution Store
- Say Goodbye to After-Hour Service Charges
In each example above, you’ve out-flanked your competition and gained an ownership of an important USP because of creative positioning of the benefits. By emphasizing the extended hours in a more creative way. You are painting a picture for them. Showing them that you are open “After-Hours” without saying “Open until 10 p.m.”
A couple of other advantages are:
- Competitors can’t duplicate your positioning approach once you have taken that #1 spot or they look like copycats. Playing Follow the Leader implies their product/service is second rate or sub-par.
- Once you have positioned your USP, it is very expensive to take it away from you. People are creatures of habit, they can be resistant to change. If a competitor wants to own the USP after you have it, it can become a very costly undertaking for them unless they have an equally Unique Selling Point with a very creative advertising agency and aggressive strategic marketing plan. It is often estimated it would require twice to ten times the advertising investment to demote the leader who owned the position first in the consumer’s mind.
Branding using creatively positioned USP’s make your advertising more effective and increases your Effective Selling Time (EST).
How to Get Started?
- Find out what your prospects want,
- identify which of these things you do better than the competition,
- position it creatively and then shout it from the mountaintop until they hear you and believe you own it.
If you would like help with identifying your Unique Selling Points, or would like to know how you can position yourself better contact me directly or click below.